Every child needs at least one Dr. Seuss book on the nursery shelf. He’s an icon of childhood.
Reading those books to your baby is like a creativity christening.
The good doctor would have turned 110 on March 2nd, so in honor of his great legacy, I though it would be appropriate to focus this month’s first birthday planning post on all his incredible characters.
So gather up your Zizzer Zazzer Zuzz, Wocket, a few Whos, a reluctant Grinch, and even your Quimney to enjoy some schlopp* and celebrate your baby’s first year of life!
*In Seussville, schlopp is an ice-cream-like confection with a cherry on top.
Warning! Not ALL these ideas are baby-safe! Some are for older kids and some are probably going to be liked best by the adults (like the Roast Beast Sandwiches). Use your parental magic powers for discernment.
- Lorax Nutter Butters ~ Brilliance is from Embrace My Space
- Cupcakes, Meet Blueberries ~ Recipe at Epicurious
- Layered Birthday Cake ~ Idea from Kara’s Party Ideas, don’t forget the red-striped straws
- Lorax Truffula Tree Toppers ~ DIY at Hank and Hunt, with striped tree trunks
Valentine’sCat in the Hat Jello ~ Enjoy the recipe at Food Librarian
- One Fish, Two Fish Snacks ~ Creatively designed by Simple Girl
- Thing One, Thing Two Cupcakes ~ Instructions at Kitchen DoughDough
- Swirly Lollipops ~ Perfect for Seussical whimsy
- World’s Easiest Turtle Clusters ~ Entertaining explanation at Jamie Cooks It Up
- Hop on Popcorn Bar ~ Designed by Simply Styled Home
- Oh, the Places You’ll Gogurt ~ Clever idea from We Heart Parties
- Cat in the Hat Fruit Skewers ~ Healthy snack from Delicate Construction
- Tasty Green Eggs ~ Miraculously good at So Wonderful, So Marvelous
- Wocket Pockets ~ Giada’s awesomeness at The Food Network
- Pink Ink ~ Sips of heaven from Our Reflection
- Colored Goldfish ~ From Kara’s Party Ideas; try this homemade whole-wheat version from Smitten Kitchen!
- Sneetch Treats ~ Idea from Erin Farrell Photography; slim things down with a healthier homemade version from Skinny Taste.
- Roast Beast Sandwiches ~ Gourmet deliciousness from Derek’s Kitchen
- Removable Wall Stickers ~ Adding realism to your make-believe
- Cat in the Hat Hair Clip ~ Unbelievably cute from Sweet Tangerine Boutique
- Decorated Suessy Buffet ~ Designed by Dixie Delights, red and blue balloons found here.
- Silverware Display ~ Idea found at Followpics, don’t forget the red napkins and blue forks
- The Entire Shabang ~ Puts your baby’s sweet face on all your party decorations and invitations
- Red & White Tablescape ~ Found at Kara’s Party Ideas; you’ll need red circle lanterns and white pompoms
- Dr. Seuss Bib ~ Not only adorable, it’s functionally perfect for cake-throwing
- Fish in a Bowl ~ No Dr. Seuss birthday party would be complete without Fish. (Idea from Pinterest)
- From Here to There… ~ Awesome idea from Annie’s Eats
- Teal & Red Tablescape ~ Design idea from Catch My Party; Match with teal pompoms and red pompoms
- Photobooth Fun ~ Idea from Modern Mommy Must Haves; add to the fun with a stuffed Cat in the Hat, teal boa, and a toddler-sized hat
- Takehome Favor Boxes ~ Always great thanks-for-coming fun for the car ride home
- Balloon Pop ~ Shared at Creative Party Place; make sure you pick up ALL the broken balloon pieces or play outside – they are choking hazards!
- Storytime ~ The perfect calm-down ending to an amazing party, the Baby’s Birthday Book
- Fishing Game ~ Cut out fishes with magnetic poles! A brilliant game idea by Heck Fridays
- Pin the Hat on the Cat ~ Great activity by Must Have Mom; don’t forget the perfect pinnable hats