Have you ever been to a really good baby shower?
You know, one that was just so well done you felt like YOU were the one being pampered and fussed over?
I’ve been to a LOT of baby showers over the years. (LOTS.)
A few of them consistently push ahead of all the others as being memorable. As in, so special, that I would attend that party again in a heartbeat. (And bring more gifts.)
There is something so satisfying to throwing an entertaining party that you know everyone will be talking about for years to come.
It’s soul-enriching to have guests enjoy the fruit of all my labor.
To walk into the room and gasp with excitement and wonder at all the girlish fun we’re about to have.
It’s like having Christmas, but at random times for people who thought they were attending an obligation, but really end up walking away having had the best 3 hours they’ve had in a long, LONG, time.
I want to provide you with inspiration and ideas on how to make those never-forget-in-a-lifetime kinds of parties.
This month we’re going to focus on “Bird Themed Baby Showers”.
With 40 different suggestions, I guarantee you’ll find something here to get excited about!
6 Bird Baby Shower
2. Mod Birds ~ a charming modern design by Zazzle.
3. Bare Nest Chenile ~ a couples shower invitation by Tiny Prints.
4. Nesting Robins ~ an exclusive orange polkadot design by Paper Culture.
6. Bluebirds in Birch Trees ~ a clean contemporary design by Purple Trail.
7 Bird Baby Shower
When it comes to making a good Wowzers impression on party goers, sweet little “spoiling” treats take a standard occasion and transform it into the stuff of legends.
Here are 7 ideas to get your salivary glands going.
1. Mini-Bird’s Nest Cupcakes ~ These probably aren’t the best choice if the words “fondant” and “chocolate mold” make you nervous. That said, if you’re a baking fiend, dive right in! Cakegirls gives you the supplies and step-by-step instructions to recreate these showstoppers in your own kitchen.
2. Strawberry Cupcakes with Toppers ~ Adding a swirl of frosting, coconut, and a fancy cupcake topper is a fast way to style-up a standard (or boxed-mixed) cupcake. Idea and photo from Project Nursery.
3. Bluebirds in a Nest Cupcakes ~ Of course Martha Stewart has to have a cute design for this! I would have been grossly disappointed if she didn’t have something here for me to link to.
5. Bluebird Brownie Pops ~ Finally something for brownie lovers. (Yes, some people really do prefer brownies over cake. Or so I hear…) Get the full recipe and steps for this at The Decorated Cookie.
6. Springtime Fizzy Drink ~ Mix Sprite with pink lemonade and some fresh blueberries for a fresh fizzy spring drink. Inspiration was from Clipzine. Don’t forget, of course, the striped straws for a polished finish.
7. Little Birdie Told Me About This Sugar Cooke ~ Yes, these are as difficult as they look on The Bearfoot Baker. BUT! Really, if you had these sugar cookie cutters and a royal icing recipe (gotta love Alton!), your flock of cookies will look more eccentric than “homemade”. A win win!
4 Bird Baby Shower
Edible Nest Ideas
I suppose I should have put these in the dessert section, but since there were so many variations of this very awesome theme…I decided it needed it’s own graphic.
These are all smaller, plate-sized designs. If you’re looking for a show-stopping centerpiece, check out this Mega Cookie Nest. A lot of work, but my GOSH, no one will ever forget it!
1. Coconut Macaroon Nutella Nests ~ Technically these are little cookies, with a schmear of deliciousness (aka Nutella) and mini-eggs. Twenty minutes, tops, and you’ve done something that looks like it was a lot of work. Get the recipe.
2. A Spoonful of
Sugar Candy Eggs ~ Attention all Non-Cooks! If you can push buttons on a microwave, you can make these little nest spoons. Want to make it look more polished? Ditched the plastic spoons for regular silverware – or (even better) these adorable appetizer spoons.
3. Rice Krispie Nests ~ This is another fast (yet impressive) dessert option for those feeling a time crunch. Who doesn’t like the crunchy/chewy awesomeness of a Rice Crispie treat? Just don’t forget the candy eggs, or they will look like sad, smashed bars.
4. Pastel Meringue Nests ~ I love serving meringues at parties because they look sooooo impressive, but really are very simple little cookies. They are the epitome of “special”. After all, who says, “I’m just going to whip up some meringues,”? No. If you’re making meringues, it’s for an exciting reason. Feels like fine dining, only you’re in the living room with all your closest friends. 🙂 Follow the recipe at Sweetapolita.
5 Bird Baby Shower
Dessert Table Decorations
So the menu’s set.
Don’t ruin the ambiance by pulling out a plastic tablecloth. After all, you slaved over that food. (Well, maybe not…but it LOOKS like you did, so let’s keep that “You did so much work!” deception going, shall we?)
Here are some suggestions on how to decorate the dessert table.
1. Antiqued Bird Placeholders ~ I love these. If you are having a sit down meal at the shower, they’re perfect to avoid awkward seating arrangements. If you’re having a buffet, use them to identify the menu. I can think of a thousand re-uses for these, from spring tea parties with the girls, to their wedding showers someday. *sob*
2. Personalized York Mints ~ Perhaps it’s just me, but I’m always scrounging in my purse for an after-meal mint. You can personalize these and send them home in favor bags (see below) if they don’t match the tablescape.
3. Bird-Themed Napkins ~ I draw the line at making my parties “special” with cloth napkins. I can’t do it. After all, it’s more laundry and laundry and I are bitter enemies. It’s paper napkins for me, all the way. You don’t have to go all “matchy matchy” with everything. Pick one that fits the feel of your party.
- A soft blue watercolor-painting vibe napkin like this one.
- A personalized napkin with your name and shower date like this one.
- Napkins that look like a scrapbookers paradise like these.
- A more gender neutral napkin theme like these yellow birds.
4. Water Bottle Labels ~ Yes, you can purchase a 24-pack of bottled water and arrange it in a nice metal cooler on the table. But $3.13 buys you a cute printable label design to cut and tape on yourself. Very cheap. Very nice.
5. Bird Bath Serving Containers ~ Cottage in the Making shared this idea from her bird-themed baby shower, and it’s so great I had to share it. Pick up a little birdie bath like this one and fill it with Jordan almonds, or M&Ms, and place it on the table to add interest and height to your display.
8 Bird Baby Shower
2. Authentic Bird’s Nest ~ Picture this laying gracefully over every plate. Or around the gift table. Or in the living room next to a scented candle. At $2.23, these are an incredible steal.
3. Decorative Metal Jute Spool ~ A nice accent touch to a gift table that soon-to-be mom can use around the house after the shower is over, always reminding her of this very special party! (And right now it’s less than $7. Not bad!)
5. Egg-Filled Centerpiece ~ Yes, this is really an Easter centerpiece idea. I won’t tell if you don’t. And besides, it’s so darling and fits so perfectly, I doubt anyone will notice. Unless you use the plastic primary colored ones. *shudder* Use these realistic (looking!) eggs instead. So much better….
6. Forest of Birds Wall Decal ~ Wall decals have come a long way from the so-called stickers that were available when Lauren was a baby. These are peel-and-stick, so (if you’re careful) you could use them again in the nursery!
7. Glittered Nest ~ This is a blinged-out nest for those of you who get a vision and then create something I’d pay $100 for. (Crafty, I am not.)
8. Bird-Themed Diaper Cake ~ It felt strange to do a post on baby shower ideas and not offer a diaper cake. So I went out and dug up MsPerks on Etsy, who actually does an amazing job. (My diaper cakes involve duct tape. Did you read #7? CRAFTY I AM NOT.)
So I seriously could have added ten more ideas on this list, but my clicking finger was getting tired. *working through the pain*
I do want to offer one more suggestions, though, sans picture, for you scrapbooking mamas out there. I thought this idea from Catch My Party for a “Very Tweet” baby shower was really creative.
- Cut bird-shapes out of colorful scrapbooking paper.
- Leave them in this mossy nest with a pen for guests to write advice or notes to the mom and baby.
- After someone writes their notes, hang them on this iron gate (wall art!) with these colorful clothespins.
Isn’t that such a tweet idea? And she can take those notes home and cherish them forever – especially at 2am when she’s exhausted and needs some encouragement!
6 Bird Baby Shower
So all your guests are heading out the door, all bitterly disappointed that it’s over.
Sure, you could shake hands and hug and send them on their way with nothing but a memory and an invitation…but why not give them one last little surprise? After all, they just showered you with gifts!
It’s a little payback for their years of friendship, love, and care. (And a down payment for future babysitting??? hmmmm….)
1. Bird House Gift Boxes ~ These are such a cute little take home box for mints, candies, bird seed favors (below) and other little surprises you’re sending home with them. (Plus, if they have little girls, it’s an instant doll house!)
2. Bird Seed Hanging Favor ~ A unique favor they can hang out side the window to coax little birds to come out and play. (Nothing says “the weather is changing” like watching little finches through my window!)
3. About to Hatch Timer ~ I’m sorry, but this is just too clever. It’s a pun lovers favor-of-choice. (About to Hatch! Get it???) It will get all KINDS of use in the years to come. Time outs…iPad sharing…hug-your-sister-athons… Timers are a parent’s secret weapon!
4. Bird Salt and Pepper Shakers ~ My guess is that most of your guests are using the $1 IKEA shakers at their dinner table. Imagine how happy they will be to get something this adorable to pass around at supper time!
5. Grown-Up Candy Bags ~ I love this sophisticated (and inexpensive) favor idea. Purchase some clear gift bags, toss in a few Jordan Almonds, mini candy eggs, or other favorite candy, and seal it with a scrapbooking sticker (girl? or boy?) Done!
6. The Nest Egg Hand Soap ~ Such a sweet idea! Send guests home with egg-shaped hand soap for the guest bathroom.
Speaking of Gifts…
If the mom-to-be has family stretched all over the nation, I would encourage you to take a look at the Amazon Baby Registry.
It’s the easiest way for long distance relatives to join in the fun (and get this family well-supplied for the months to come!)
Let the Nesting Begin!
Did I go overboard a little with all the bird baby shower ideas?
But man, it was fun.
Which idea did you like the most? Do you have any suggestions to add?
Keep a good thing going. Leave a comment!
Meet Heather Taylor
Heather is the Chief Encouragement Officer here at Incredible Infant and has been writing and encouraging parents online since 2007. She's certified in baby sleep coaching (yes, that's a real thing), has served as an Expert Parenting Panelist for numerous events, and has been a featured writer on blogs like DaveRamsey.com, SimpleKids.net, My Kid's Adventures, Cafe Mom, and others. If it's 2am and you're desperate to read SOMETHING, click here for all her darkest secrets, including why she really shouldn't be allowed to blog.